Monday, March 26, 2012

Cooked Cabbage with Sausage. Damn Skippy.

 

   I freakin love cabbage. Seriously. I like it raw or cooked, it doesn't even matter. I don't know why, it's not like it has any bold flavor but I think that's what I like it about it, it's delicate-ness. So yeah, there I was over my friends house visiting her and her adorable little baby. She had to run for some errands so I stayed home with the little one....I decided to just start cooking so it could all be ready when she came home (Hey, new moms are heroes, gotta show our appreciation any way we can!). So I did what any cook would do, I raided her fridge. :) I found some delicious looking sausages in the freezer which I decided to thaw and then looked around her veggie section and saw there was a generous amount of cabbage laying around so I went to town.

  This really is a quick and easy dish. I thawed the sausages and cooked them for about 10 minutes or so in simmering water and then sliced them up (save the liquid). Then I took a pan and heated it up with just a touch of olive oil and browned the sausages.

    I cut up a few green onions and cloves of garlic that I found and sauteed them. I chopped the cabbage and added that in there as well. Incorporate everything well and let the cabbage cook for about 3-4 minutes. This would be a great time to add a little bit of dry red wine to the mix but since I couldn't find any, I just poured in one can of tomato chunks (had I been at home I would have just used fresh tomatoes...you know me!). My spices consisted of a few bay leafs and this pepper like spice that we call here in Greece "Bahari" but for the life of me I cannot find the name of it in English. My quest will continue though, because it's driving me nuts! { It's allspice!! God I'm retarded!!!} Anywho, season with salt and pepper to taste, bring it up to a quick boil and then to a nice slow simmer (I love how I changed persons throughout the course of this post...). At this point I also love to add a nice generous portion of olive oil to the mix.  If you feel like your meal needs a little bit of liquid to cook in, just add a little bit of the water you simmered your sausages in. This tasty treat is ready when your cabbage is cooked and there is no liquid left.

    It's just...so.....delicious!! The sausages give it such a rich and heavenly flavor. The cabbage is soft and subtle and compliments the bold and full flavor of the sausage perfectly.  Also, a great vegetarian version to this is so add some rice to your cabbage and the liquid needed for your rice to cook in and you got a great rice/cabbage combo.  However, there was nothing vegetarian this time around....it was in your face fat and flavor...and it was SO worth it!

   



No comments:

Post a Comment